Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Silverlight - The death of the browser

At least mine anyways. So I was reading one of the Flex evangelists blogs about Silverlight 1.0 being released, and I thought I would see what all the hoopla was about. So I went to MLB.com and checked out some videos. What a mistake that was. First you will have to install Silverlight, no big deal I've had to install the Flash Player before as well. Once I get that installed and restart my browser, it took 2-3 minutes for my browser to load everything, and the whole time my processor is pegged at 100%. I waited patiently and finally was able to play a movie, and of course instead of showing the highlights immediately Microsoft had to pat themselves on the back. Finally the highlights started, and the quality was terrible. I couldn't hardly read the score because it was fuzzy, and it the actual footage looked choppy. I've seen enough, I try and go back to Google Reader and now my browser isn't responding, I had to kill the process and start a new session. Nice job Microsoft. First impressions are the most important, and my first impression of Silverlight is to go uninstall it as fast as I installed it.

No comments: